There are lots of travel destinations in Taraba State. The State is situated in the North-East geopolitical zone of Nigeria. It was created from the old Gongola State on August 27, 1991, by the ex-military government of General Ibrahim Babangida. The state name is being derived from the Taraba River which cut across the southern part of the state. Both the river and the state are rightly called “Nature’s Gift to the Nation.”
There are 16 local governments which comprise Ardo Kola, Bali, Donga, Gashaka, Gassol, Ibi, Jalingo, Karim Lamido, Kurmi, Lau, Kurmi, Sardauna, Takum, Ussa, Wukari, Yorro, and Zing. According to 2006 Population Census, there are the 2,300,736 people in the state. It is bounded to the west by Benue and Plateau States and to the east by Cameroon. Jalingo is the capital city of Taraba State.
8 Travel Destinations in Taraba State You need to Visit
The following are the travel destinations in Taraba State that you need to visit:
- Travel Destinations in Taraba State: Gashaka-Gumti National Park
It covers an area of 6,731 square meters, the Gashaka-Gumti National Park is the largest national park in Nigeria. The name is formed from Gashaka park in Taraba State and the Gumti park in Adamawa state – they were both merged into one in 1991. There are numerous flora and fauna that thrills visitors to this park, and some of the common animals here are elephants, chimpanzees, lions, hyena, roan antelope, wild dog etc.
- Travel Destinations in Taraba State: Donga River Basin Forest
The Donga River is found in the southern part of Buru village. It has a distance of 10km from Cameroon’s border. It is mainly lowland and one of the best lowland forests that are used for bird-watching in the country. There are over 190 bird species in this forest, and here you can be sure of seeing rare birds such as white-belied kingfisher, spotted honey guide, African pied hornbill, and the red-headed malimbe etc.
- Travel Destinations in Taraba State: Ngel-Nyaki Forest Reserve
The Forest Reserve is almost 60 km west of Gashaka-Gumti National Park, and it is very close to Yelwa and it is in situated between Serti and Gembu. There are over 50 species of tall, growing trees in this forest reserve, and you stand a chance of seeing the 86-bird species which have made this reserve their eternal home.
- Travel Destinations in Taraba State: Marmara Crocodile Pond, Wukari
The Marmara crocodile pond is found in Wukari and presumed to be an old pond full of mythical crocodiles which are mostly sighted on Fridays. There is a tale making the rounds that these crocs in ancient times went into town to pay homage to Aku Uka, the supreme head of the Jukuns. This crocodile lives peacefully with humans and animals without hurting anyone.
- Travel Destinations in Taraba State: Kpambo and Fikyu Rock Formations
If you ever wonder where you once saw a rock formation that has the appearing of a human with a gown that’s flowing, then it must be the Kpambo and Fikyu rock formations in Taraba State. This is an extensive rock formation that begs survey and you’d enjoy exploring. Taraba State is a land of peaks and mountains and lowlands that attract visitors all year round.
- Travel Destinations in Taraba State: Barup Timga Waterfalls There are numerous natural waterfalls in Taraba State, the most famous one is the Barup waterfall and the Tunga waterfall located in the Gashaka-Gumti national park. The federal government is offering to build a hydroelectric dam project for the Mambila plateau at the Barup waterfall, and it is one of the travel destinations in Taraba State.
- Travel Destinations in Taraba State: Bitako Hills
The Hills is an extensive rock formation found in Zing, and the sight, as well as the spread of the formations, is enchanting to both natives and visitors alike. It is a must-see tourist attraction that you must see when visiting the state.